Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Coffee Habit

This issue is so important, I believe it deserves it's own page!  

Anyone who knows me knows about my coffee habit - gotta have it in the morning, preferably really decent strong coffee.  Peets may not be the best but it works most of the time for our everyday habit in Oakland.

Well the coffee quality that we can prepare ourselves has been going downhill since we ran out of Peets in Haarlem (a very loooong time ago).  We had a Nespresso coffee maker (good but environmentally unsound) AND a French press in London (used our Peets), a Mr. Coffee in Haarlem (but still had decent coffee to make after Peets ran out).  In Berlin, our great apartment came with a not so good drip machine in Germany (with mediocre coffee, not much good to be found).  We searched high and low for some kind of unbreakable French press to carry with us but never found one.   

In Tel Aviv, the place came with an espresso boiler which was ancient and MISSING the filter basket which could not be replaced (we tried).  Plus there were two jars of no brand instant coffee in the cupboard.  I suspected there was a reason for this.  (Pause)





So after two mornings of being really grouchy until I got up and out and bought expensive (and sometimes not wonderful) coffee at a shop, I have succumbed to making instant coffee in the mornings.  Yes, me, instant, never thought it would happen, but frankly, as far as my mood is concerned, it's not the worst way to wake up (haha)!  The good news is that the water boilers work in seconds so making instant coffee is a rapid fire process!  Good thing I'm getting used to it - it's been this way for the past three places we've stayed - instant provided, no coffee pot, and as a back up, I bought some!

Danny, who is way more intolerant of bad coffee than me, and who doesn't seem to need the wake up as much, just waits for later when we go out for a cup.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment